What is Mint oil?
Peppermint is an aromatic herb in the mint family. It’s a hybrid mint that’s a cross between spearmint and watermint. It can be found naturally in North America and Europe.
Peppermint essential oil can be extracted from the leaves of the peppermint plant and is used for a variety of different purposes.
Peppermint oil can be found in a variety of forms. Some examples include:
- Essential oils, a very concentrated form that can be used for aromatherapy or diluted and applied to the skin.
- Extracts, a more diluted form that can be used to add peppermint flavor to foods
- Capsules, which can be taken as dietary supplements.
Peppermint oil uses
Peppermint oil has a wide variety of uses. For example, it can be used as:
- A treatment for a variety of conditions, including irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), nausea, and other digestive issues, as well as the common cold and headaches
- A topical application for relief from itching, muscle pain, and headache
- A flavoring agent in foods and in products such as mouthwashes
- A fresh, pleasing scent added to soaps and cosmetic products
- Using on hair can increase hair growth
Peppermint oil benefits-
For skin and hair
– Peppermint oil is often used in cosmetic products. But there’s a limited amount of research into the potential benefits of peppermint when applied to the skin and hair.
– The effect of applying peppermint oil on the skin to reduce itching during pregnancy. Researchers found that applying a 0.5 percent solution of peppermint oil twice a day for two weeks significantly reduced itch severity compared to the control.
-Peppermint oil may help to stimulate hair growth because of its ability to increase blood circulation around the scalp.
Massage the scalp using peppermint oil and let it stay on the scalp for up to 24 hours. There’s no rule demanding the oil be left in the hair for longer than a half hour.Peppermint oil likely is in the shampoo just used to wash the hair.
Peppermint oil is generally not used directly on the skin, because like all essential oils, it is highly concentrated and thus should always be diluted before use. Err on the side of caution when using essential oils. Peppermint oil can also be used in cream or ointment form up to four times a day.
Is it safe to intake mint oil?
Peppermint oil appears to be safe when taken orally (by mouth) in the doses commonly used. Excessive doses of peppermint oil can be toxic.Like other essential oils, peppermint oil is highly concentrated. When the undiluted essential oil is used for health purposes, only a few drops are used.